Press invitation to the EBD Network Day 2017 with Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel
Berlin, 20 June 2017 – Brexit, Trump, a bumper election year: multiple challenges are prompting Europe to stand together again. The solidarity effect is having an impact, on the streets and squares of Europe too, where thousands of people have been gathering to show their support for the EU. Since publication of the “White Paper on the Future of Europe”, the debate about the future has been in full swing. On 26 June Germany’s largest network for Europe will be holding its General Assembly 2017: representatives of 250 organisations will discuss – not only with Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel, but also with international guests – scenarios, ideas and concrete demands for the further development of the European Union.
- Welcome by S.E. Pietro Benassi | Ambassador of Italy to Germany:
- Dr. Rainer Wend | President of the European Movement Germany: “European policy is domestic policy!”
- Sigmar Gabriel, MP | Foreign Minister and Vice Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany: „German European policy – what is important now“
- Stine Bosse | President of the European Movement Denmark: „Democracy and the responsibility of national politicians“ (Speech in English)
- International networking with leaders of the European movements:
Sabine Radl |General Secretary of the newly formed European Movement Austria talks about the role of the smaller countries in the EU.
Petros Fassoulas | General Secretary of the European Movement International introduces the pan-European campaign All for Democracy (Introduction in English)
- EBD Network Day with delegates from 249 member organisations from politics, research and society, with EU actors and our partners from embassies and ministries. Information about projects and the work of the EBD: Campaign It’s Your Europe! | European Competiton | Women of Europe Award | College of Europe | Brussels alumni in Berlin | EU-Career-Projects
- Discussion of and vote on EBD policy 2017/18: the political demands of the EBD, outlined in the document “Think, act and govern in a European way!”, were developed in an intensive consultation process with the member organisations. More on these topics and the 14 demands can be found here: Draft resolution on EBD policy 2017/18
The political part with speeches and welcome addresses will take place in the morning. Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel is expected to speak at around 12.00. Proceedings for the General Assembly and the political demands will begin from around 13.00.
EBD Network Day and General Assembly 2017
Monday, 26 June 2017, 10.00 – 15.oo GMT
Italian Embassy | Hiroshimastr. 1 (entrance: Tiergartenstr. 22) | 10785 Berlin
The EBD Network Day 2017 on Twitter: #EBDMV
Live Stream: EBD Netzwork Day will be streamed from 10.00 a.m. via our website www.netzwerk-ebd.de
Press contacts and accreditation:
Kathrin Finke | T +49 (0)30 30 36 201-16 | F -19 | M + 49 (0)175 586 27 16
Manuel Knapp | T +49 (0)30 30 36 201-13 | F -19 | M + 49 (0)178 148 41 82
More or less Europe?
EBD Telegram on the Future of Europe
Documents in German: