United Europe e.V. | Panel-Diskussion „European Security and Defence Policy: Where does the Strategic Compass guide us?“
On behalf of Günther H. Oettinger and Würth Group, we cordially invite you to our panel discussion „European Security and Defence Policy: Where does the Strategic Compass guide us?“ taking place on the 1st of June from 16h00 – 17h45 hrs (CET).
The expert round takes place at the Representation of the State Baden-Württemberg to the European Union, Rue Belliard 60/62, 1040 Brussels.
In March, the European Council approved the „Strategic Compass“, a 50-page strategy paper for European defence and security policy. The Strategic Compass aims to provide answers to security threats and geopolitical dynamics and to path the way for a common EU security and defence policy in the coming years.
The EU plans to build up a joint intervention force of 5,000 soldiers by 2025, to better coordinate armament projects and to harmonise the military budgets of the member states. Will the EU be able to pool its resources better? Will the EU be able to react decisively to the security crises?
These and other questions will be discussed by a panel of high-ranking speakers.
from 03:30 p.m.
from 04:00 p.m.
- Bodo Lehmann, Head of the Representation of the State Baden-Württemberg to the European Union
- Günther H. Oettinger, President of United Europe e.V.
- Daniela Schily, Head of Representative Office, Würth Group
Panel discussion with
- Jean-Pierre van Aubel, EEAS Expert in Defence Policy and Strategy
- Ben Hodges, Lieutenant General (ret.) and former commander of all US forces in Europe
- Heli Tiirmaa-Klaar, Ambassador-at-Large for Cyber Diplomacy and Head of the Cyber Diplomacy Department at the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Prof. Dr Markus Kaim, Senior Fellow / International Security, SWP
Moderatorated by Rieke Schües, Managing Director, United Europe.
From 18:00 hrs onwards, you are welcome to stay for a reception with informal discussions and a flying buffet.
The event will be held in compliance with all applicable health and hygiene regulations. You will find the way to the registration page with further information here. We kindly ask you to register by 25 May 2022 at the latest.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with further information.
We are looking forward to a lively discussion.